For more than 150 years, Bayer has been developing ground-breaking solutions for the health of humans, plants and animals (health sector and agriculture). The group is a world player with a total workforce of around 117,000 people. Bayer has been firmly anchored in Belgium for over 100 years. Besides the innovation centre for plant biotechnology in Ghent (Zwijnaarde/Astene) and its headquarters in Diegem, Bayer even manages the production sites of the independent company Covestro in Antwerp and Tielt.
“Thanks to the new solution, our HR Direct service desk will handle far fewer questions and errors. The new, super transparent, pay slip is greatly appreciated by trade unions and employees alike. As a matter of fact, the latter are also excited by the new possibilities of the self-service tools!”
Quality in all areas
With more than 1,000 employees on Belgian soil, Bayer definitely fits the category of major employer. Hence the importance of a streamlined HR solution. Since 2006, a central SAP platform has been supporting Bayer’s international HR processes. In Belgium, however, a more flexible system was called for, allowing Bayer to meet compliance rules (ICS) more easily. Bayer’s wish list included among other things: greater self-service options for employees, simulation capabilities for payroll, a new solution for managing holiday pay, and a clearer and more transparent pay slip.
A very inclusive project team
Aided by Flexso, Bayer investigated the extent to which the HR team could switch to an in-house system for gross-net calculations based on SAP HR. In addition to the new software platform, Bayer also wanted to introduce a new operational model giving Acerta the responsibility for managing the payroll services (payroll and post-payroll). This explains why Acerta was also involved in the whole HR project, from preliminary study to implementation…
Smoother and more streamlined
The transition required some adjustments in the way of working. Some of the notable new features:
- Automatic calculation of bonuses (e.g. bonus for “dirty work”)
- Easier payroll validation, including validation of the master data, results and data reporting: the validation program sends a to-do list to those concerned.
- HR forms are automatically archived (e.g. pay slip, individual account, social documents) and there are plenty of options for self-service (input using HR FORMS). All information is automatically linked to the personnel file to allow the HR team to quickly look up and check every detail.
- Automatic printing (outsourcing)
- New solution to pay out holiday pay